Friday, September 09, 2005

U.S. Open Tennis

I was given a ticket to see the US Open yesterday. Ooh-la-la, tres bien, c'est tennis!

Saw Lleyton Hewitt beat Jarkko Niemenen. That match was actually a lot of fun. At first, it seemed that Lleyton was going to obliterate Jarkko, but Niemenen really stepped up and ended up winning that set. The next sets went back and forth until Lleyton finally won in the fifth. The crowd, at first supporting Lleyton (who is MUCH more famous than Jarrko, and significantly higher ranked), began to get behind Jarkko when they saw him playing so well.

Also saw the mixed doubles final, and a men's doubles set.

I'm not that much of a tennis fan - I watch it some on tv, and did play a bit when I was young, but it's not really my sport. Still, it's more the experience of the day than the actual sport that I enjoy: travelling to Queens by train, walking the beautiful grounds, taking my - extremely expensive - seat and feeling all posh, watching the tennis with the (somewhat) beautiful people.

I could tell who on the train was going to the tennis by how they dressed and groomed themselves. Tennis fans at this sort of event are often so neat and almost-preppy, some very expensively dressed, and everything matching so carefully. Hair neat, makeup simple and neat, clothing neat and not flashy. Quite conservatively dressed, but with a sports theme - not sporty, more "sportive", if you understand my meaning.

2 Comments:

At 4:17 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just checked you homepage! It's nice. And got soooo envious of you receiving a free ticket for the US Open! I am a BIG tennis enthusiast, practise it two to four times a week; I only watched on TV... well, being in Italy it would've been a bit difficult to be there in person!

Ciao,
Volley

 
At 11:30 a.m., Blogger Art School Goddess said...

I was very, very lucky.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home